Gum recontouring can bring out the beauty in your smile that you didn’t even know was there. A flawed gum line, or gummy smile, can give the impression of dental flaws, even with perfect teeth. Dr. LeSueur, Dr. Glenn LeSueur, and Dr. Dodaro can recontour your gums, revealing the natural beauty of your teeth and smile. Our soft tissue laser is a subtle but powerful tool that is used for gum recontouring procedure that is quick, easy, and virtually no downtime.
What is gum recontouring?
Gum recontouring, sometimes called a gum lift, is the reshaping of your gum line. A gummy smile is created when gum tissue extends too far along the surface of your teeth. Excess tissue is removed using a safe, soft tissue laser. The results are instantly visible and will make a great change to your smile.
What Problems Can Gum Recontouring Correct?
You may be mistaking gum problems for problems with your teeth. Gum recontouring can bring out the natural beauty of your smile in many ways, correcting the appearance of:
- Excessive gum tissue
- Teeth which look too short
- Uneven gum line or teeth which appear uneven
- Red or puffy gums
- An unhealthy-looking smile
What are the benefits of gum recontouring?
There are several benefits to gum recontouring, especially when a soft-tissue laser is used to perform this procedure. The obvious benefit is that the appearance of the teeth, gums, and smile symmetry can be greatly improved through laser gum contouring. Additionally:
- The procedure is much gentler on the soft tissue in the mouth.
- There is no cutting with a scalpel, so there is less trauma to the gums.
- Without cuts made to tissue, there is no need for stitches.
- The laser seals blood vessels while the beam shapes the gums, which decreases bleeding.
- The swiftness of the laser makes treatment more comfortable and also more precise.
- Patients typically heal more quickly from laser gum contouring than traditional contouring surgery.
- Laser gum contouring is a versatile technique that can correct a gummy smile, correct an uneven gum line, and create cohesiveness among teeth by correcting the appearance of size.
How long do gum recontouring procedures take?
The length of the laser contouring procedure may vary based on how many teeth are being treated and the extent of shaping that is being done. Patients are informed of the estimated duration of their procedure during their consultation so they can plan accordingly.
Is gum recontouring Painful?
Our dentists at Drs. Of Smiles use a soft tissue laser for gum recontouring. This is very different from gum recontouring surgery with a scalpel. Old methods cut away gum tissue, leaving an open wound that was painful, slow to heal, involved significant swelling, and carried a high risk of infection.
The soft tissue laser is much more precise and seals the incision as it goes. Benefits include:
- Reduced discomfort
- Reduced healing time
- Far less swelling
- Greatly lowered risk of infection
- More accurate results
What are the risks of gum recontouring?
The use of a soft tissue laser significantly enhances the gum contouring procedure. The laser cauterizes, or seals blood vessels, as it reshapes the gums. This decreases bleeding both during and after treatment. The immediate cauterization of tissue also helps maintain a sterile oral environment during the procedure, decreasing the risk of infection. Most patients notice only mild swelling and bruising after laser gum contouring treatment. These common side effects diminish quickly.
Can Laser Gum Recontouring damage my teeth?
The soft tissue laser operates on a frequency that only targets your gums – not your teeth! It’s safe to say that your smile will be completely safe.
Recovery After Gum Recontouring
Since we use soft tissue lasers and not a scalpel, there is no bleeding; The laser seals the gums as it works. This also helps prevent infection and tissue irritation. Recovery time can vary from person to person. Some people’s gums heal completely in just a few days, while others may take up to two weeks. It is important to continue recommended post-treatment care until the gums have completely recovered from the contouring procedure.
What can I eat after my procedure?
The objective after gum contouring surgery is to help the gums heal and not inflict harm. This means it is necessary to avoid crunchy and hard foods. Spicy foods and seeds should also be avoided. Patients may enjoy ice cream, yogurt, soup, cooked vegetables, cottage cheese, eggs, and other soft foods.
What our patients have to say
- Very kind and reassuring. Everything was explained and executed as described. They went above and beyond normal processes to accommodate my needs. Very pleasant experience.- Peggy
- First time going there and they really took care of me. I will be going back for sure, and would recommend them to family and friends! – M.W.
- This was my first time at the dentist in a number of years. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. Everyone from the X-ray tech, doctor to the hygienist. They explained every step of the process and would break down more complex terms so I understood everything that was happening. – S.D.
Schedule your consultation today
Gum recontouring can be performed as a stand-alone treatment or in combination with other procedures, such as tooth whitening, to bring out the natural beauty of your smile. If you are interested in gum recontouring, contact us online today or call us at 480.834.6991 to schedule a consultation.