Are Dental Implants the Best Way to Replace Missing Teeth?
- Posted on: Sep 30 2019
There are a number of difference reasons why a person may lose their natural, adult teeth. This may include cavities, periodontal disease, or an injury to the mouth. Replacing these missing teeth as soon as possible is critical for maintaining oral health and wellness. For many years, dentures and bridges were the only options to choose from for replacing missing teeth. However, more recent advances in dentistry now allow patients to select dental implants.
What is a dental implant?
The dentists at Drs of Smiles Gentle Family Dentistry describe dental implants as restorations that are fabricated from titanium and are placed into the bone of the jaw to act as a false tooth root. The implant itself has an abutment that allows it to be restored with many different restorations, including dental crowns, dental bridges, or full dentures.
Are dental implants the best tooth replacement option?
Many patients see dental implants as the far superior choice for tooth replacement. This is because of the many benefits they provide. Dental implants are:
- Durable. Dental implants can last a lifetime with proper maintenance and are extremely strong due to their integration with the jawbone as a steady foundation.
- Natural-looking. Porcelain restorations are made to cover the dental implant, allowing for seamless integration into the patient’s smile.
- Comfortable. Because the implants become one with the jawbone, most patients don’t even realize they’re there!
- Permanent. Patients who want a permanent tooth replacement option that is not removable are welcome to ask about dental implants for their smile to avoid removable restorations such as dentures.
- Minimal attention. Dental implants look and function like the natural teeth, and are cared for in much the same way.
- Biocompatible. Titanium is a metal that is easily integrated into the body, which is why this material is often used in other types of implants throughout medicine.
- Maintenance of bone. Because dental implants stimulate bone growth through osseointegration, they allow patients to maintain their jawbone to avoid a sunken appearance often seen with patients using full dentures long-term.
Call Drs of Smiles Gentle Family Dentistry today
Schedule your visit with our Mesa, AZ area dentists by calling the front office team at (480) 834-6991 to discuss the benefits of dental implants for tooth replacement. Drs. Scott LeSueur, Charles Dodaro, and Glenn LeSueur are accepting new patients and families at all times for comprehensive, quality dental care.
Posted in: Dental Implants