At Drs of Smiles Gentle Family Dentistry, Mesa, AZ area patients can educate themselves on the benefits of taking good care of their smile. Additionally, they should learn about the bad habits that are known for harming the smile, so they can take action and enjoy preventative services.
Drs. Scott LeSueur, Charles Dodaro, and Glenn LeSueur can discuss with patients the many habits that can negatively affect those pearly whites!
- Using the teeth as a tool. When patients use their teeth to open bottles or tear open packaging, they are putting their smile at risk. Avoid these activities as they can damage the teeth.
- Nail biting. Keep teeth healthy and strong by avoiding nail biting. This bad habit can change the shape of the teeth and contribute to wearing of the natural enamel.
- Tobacco use. Not only is tobacco use harmful for the smile, it can be harmful for the body. Smoking or chewing tobacco can also contribute to gum disease, cavities, and halitosis (bad breath).
- Chewing ice. While chewing on ice may feel good on a hot summer day, it is a bad habit that can contribute to damage of the natural teeth and/or restorations that are in place in the smile. These restorations can break and require replacement.
- Consumption of sugary beverages. Sugary beverages and foods such as candies and sodas can contribute to the formation of cavities. This is because the sugars interact with the bacteria to create acids that can eat away at the natural tooth enamel.
- Poor oral hygiene. It is so important for patients to brush and floss their teeth as recommended by their dentist to remove plaque, tartar, and food particles that can contribute to an unhealthy smile.
- Clenching and grinding of the teeth. Known as bruxism, clenching and grinding of the teeth at night can break restorations and wear down the natural enamel of the teeth. Wearing a night guard or similar oral appliance can help.
Educate yourself on how to maintain a healthy smile
Drs of Smiles Gentle Family Dentistry is here to provide patients in the area of Mesa, AZ with the solutions they require to look and feel their best, while maintaining the smile of their dreams! Stop those bad habits, and start taking charge of your smile today! Call the office at (480) 834-6991 and schedule your consultation with Drs. Scott LeSueur, Charles Dodaro, and Glenn LeSueur.