Six ways to keep the gums healthy and beautiful!
- Posted on: Oct 30 2020
The gums from the teeth, and are part of a healthy, beautiful smile. However, many patients in the area of Mesa, Arizona will schedule an appointment with our dental team at Drs. of Smiles Gentle Family Dentistry and ask about ways to keep the gums clean and healthy. Below are several recommendations and tips from our team regarding oral health and wellness suggestions for healthier smiles!
- Brush. Brushing not only the teeth but the gums can help reduce the risk of developing conditions such as gum disease.
- Floss. Flossing should be done after every meal to remove food particles that can become trapped along the gumline, as well as between the teeth.
- Fluoride toothpaste. Make sure you have the right tools on hand! Use a fluoride toothpaste recommended by the ADA and brush as directed by the dentist. Include the teeth, gums, and tongue for the cleanest results!
- Soft-bristled toothbrush. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to clean the teeth and gums after meals, and be sure not to brush too vigorously or it can cause the gums to become red, swollen, and bleed.
- Mouthwash. Consider using a mouthwash after brushing and flossing to completely clean the smile while freshening the breath.
- Quit tobacco. Whether you smoke cigarettes or chew chewing tobacco, it may be time to quit. Tobacco can cause inflammation in the gums, stain the teeth, and also increase your risk of developing oral cancer.
Cosmetic dental work on the gums
Sometimes, the gums are too large or uneven. This can also impact the appearance of the smile. In situations such as this, we may recommend gum contouring to achieve a more attractive look and symmetrical appearance. We also recommend gum grafting for any patients who have had periodontal disease in the past and want to repair the damage and recessed gum tissues.
Ensure beautiful smiles with the team of Drs of Smiles Gentle Family Dentistry
Our professionals in Mesa, Arizona are excited to provide patients with the education they need to enjoy beautiful smiles for life! Patients ready to learn more about the advantages of good oral habits are strongly encouraged to book a consultation visit by calling (480) 834-6991. Our team accepts new patients and families and offer general, preventive, cosmetic, and restorative oral health solutions!
Posted in: Periodontal Disease